The power of the self-education
Decision-making by consensus and conflict resolution is a community practice that requires prolonged experience and repeated attempts. Children who grow up in this environment find it easier to assimilate this important art of living socially. The ability to accept the opinion of the other, even without agreeing, is the first step toward creating healthy, balanced communities.
A53_9280 | NIKON D2X | 1/60s f/4.0 ISO100 90mm (35mm eq:135mm) | 2007:11:11 9:10:32 AM 9:10:32 AM | Leonide Principe
“What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing.” AristotleIn brazilian-portuguese: O poder da auto-educação
1. We all need to educate ourselves again
2. How can we preserve what we do not know?
3. Time to start moving
4. "We did it ourselves!"
1. The power, today, is of the economy. Everything revolves around the ability to generate profit, including art, and leisure, and food, and healing ... and education. It seems that the civilization of consumption has already accepted this fact as inevitable and the whole system does not question this basic principle: the big media, schools and universities, work, everything is oriented to the paradigm of financial return. The institutional apparatus captures even basic concepts such as sustainability, desire and happiness and adapts them to the current system. There seems to be nothing left to do, and as food and health get worse, ecosystems are degraded and the planet as a whole does not support the human way of life, worry and rush replace joy and celebration*.
If you think all of this is normal, it's just a phase of humanity's transition and technology will soon solve all the current problems, well, you're playing the lottery, your life, and the lives of future generations.
But if you feel a subtle malaise when you see that the water is contaminated and scarce, that your food is no longer so healthy, that the stink of the sewer is in the air.
If you perceive the stress of this uncertain state of the situation no longer just environmental or social but now dramatically individual, then you need to take initiative and, if common sense prevails, it always starts with just a simple attitude: self-education. We all need to educate ourselves again. 0473
2. The civilized man in the virtual world no longer knows how to deal with nature, nor does he know how to interact with his neighbors, even he does not know himself. And it is no use to want to save nature, or convince others of something without first observing and transforming oneself. This project is directed first and foremost to the individual, to his will for transformation and to the coherent practice of his thinking. The age of opinions has passed, now is to do what you think.
Self-education is like a habit of personal hygiene, learning is a permanent state of mind.
Returning to the main subject, the Amazon, like the whole planet, needs to discover the power of self-education. Learn how to deal with this rich and irreplaceable biome, just as the ancient inhabitants did.
How can we preserve what we do not know? And how can we know without "entering" the subject with practical experience?
Then, the methodology starts with self-education, through community education and back again at the origin, in a permanent and circular cycle of learning and teaching.
It is the return of the villages. 0474
3. Ecovillages need mobilizer, facilitators and leaders and all of them need capacitation.
After you have prepared yourself and organized the community, its action begins.
You, as mobilizer, have already been in action (ie preparing the community). Now it is time for the community to go into action.
The whole community has participated in decision making (consensus*), it has formed executives, created a community plan of action, designed a project, and an organization for acting. Time to start moving.
As an example, let us say the action is building a latrine. Plans are examined; resources collected, building begins. There are several areas where you, as the mobilizer, have work to do. Do not organize, supervise or work in constructing the latrine.
Your role is to facilitate needed technical training (identified by the community and its executives during construction), ensure that the work is monitored, that there is full and free information about all aspects (especially financial disbursements) and that community members never become complacent or slip into thinking that it is not their own project.
The course about Ecovillages tells you some of your tasks and roles while the community is in action. You do not control their action; you encourage and assist them to do it. You provide praise, positive advice, public recognition.
You assist in obtaining needed training, you promote public knowledge, gender balance, transparency, and a high project profile. 0484
4. As for the best leaders, the people do not notice their existence.
The next best, the people honour and praise.
The next, the people fear;
and the next, the people hate ...
When the best leader's work is done the people say,
"We did it ourselves!" (Lao-Tsu 0478
sustainability | ecological literacy | introduction
Article Version: 0.3.06
Last Modified: 5/2/2017 5:27:42 PM
Last modified: Tuesday, 2 May 2017, 5:40 PM